HLDPhotography LLC is at WWW.HLDPhotos.com
Project 365 is at WWW.HLDPhotosProj365.blogspot.com

Friday, January 21, 2011

Point & Shoots vs DSLRs Pt 1 The Photos

I went home to Georgia last Sunday to see my father in law, pop, a truly amazing person. For one story about him, go to my project 365  http://hldphotosproj365.blogspot.com/2011/01/jan-17th_21.html to see a story about him.

But now, let me show you some photos I made on the trip. Some were made with my Nikon D300 using a 17-55 mm f/2.8 lens. Others were made using a Canon SX 210 IS Point and Shoot (P&S). The Nikon has 13 megapixels, the Canon has 14 but not all pixels are equal as the saying goes. but more on that in following posts. For now, let's just look at the photos for now.

Not a lot of difference. In fact the differences are more from the individual psot processing in Lightroom 2 than the camera. There were differences in the initial photos between the two cameras but careful adjustment can make them nearly the same. (depending upon how badly you want them to match). I shot the Nikon in RAW format, the Canon P&S only shoot jpeg. I shot the Nikon in aperture priority and left the P&S in Program mode. The Nikon was set to ISO 400 and the Canon to 200 (no particular reason) other than to see how the Canon did at lower ISO. I used ISO 400 on the Nikon to obtain faster shutter speed to counteract any hand shake.  I didn't worry about the white balance on the Nikon as I was shooting RAW format while the Canon jpegs where shot using auto white balance. Generally speaking, Auto White Balance works well outside in sunlight but not so well inside. (I suspect part of the issue is that inside you may have a mixture of light (tungsten, sunlight, and fluorescent). The issue with setting the white balance manually (even using Photoshop's eyedropper methods) is what is the "right color" temperature? Aahhh, the joys of digital photography (Film had these issues also but not as obviously to most as with digital's instant feedback on the LCD viewer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List